action

More

Law Firm Seeks Congressional Inquiry Over Hyundai, Kia Thefts – Dealer Ops

  • June 9, 2023

Law firm said past automaker testimony before Congress resulted in <a href=action on vehicle safety issues. – IMAGE: Pixabay/Arcaion” loading=”lazy”/

Law firm said past automaker testimony before Congress resulted in action on vehicle safety issues.

IMAGE: Pixabay/Arcaion


A California law firm representing some Hyundai and Kia owners in lawsuits against the carmakers over thefts is urging Congress to take action on the issue.

It’s the latest development in a series of pushbacks against the South Korean brands to more aggressively address the thefts of models without immobilizing antitheft technology as standard.

Multiple major U.S. cities have sued the automakers, about two dozen attorneys general have urged them to take stronger action about the thefts, and 18 states have asked a federal regulator to recall the 2011- to 2022 models in question.

Now MLG Attorneys at Law has written a letter to Washington Sen. Maria Cantwell to take up the matter as chairwoman of the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. The firm said in a statement that the committee has previously brought automakers to testify before Congress, resulting in action on vehicle safety issues.

MLG said it’s leading a class-action lawsuit against Hyundai and Kia over the thefts. It said it’s now representing a growing list of personal-injury cases related to the thefts.

The carmakers have expedited measures intended to prevent thefts and help vehicle owners get their models insured, including speeding up a software update and working with insurer AAA to insure affected models. But the increasingly loud pushback from various corners maintains they’re not doing enough.

LEARN MORE: States Seek Recall of Theft-Prone Hyundai, Kia Models

Read the rest
More

Barristers in England and Wales stage first five-day strike over legal aid funding | Barristers

  • August 16, 2022

Barristers are heading to parliament as they begin their first whole week of strike action over levels of legal aid funding they say are bringing the criminal justice system to its knees.

Members of the Criminal Bar Association, which represents advocates in England and Wales, began action with a two-day strike at the end of last month and have been escalating it by an extra day every week.

If a deal is not agreed with the government criminal barristers will stage five-day walkouts every other week from now on.

Jo Sidhu QC, CBA chair, said: “We bring our action for justice to the heart of parliament as those MPs who represent us all, need to hear from those of us who persecute and defend on behalf of the voiceless – in particular the victims of crime left to suffer and language by government’s ongoing failure to stem the massive exodus of criminal barristers.

“The great leveling up agenda will be strangled at birth without government properly funding legal aid to ensure that we have enough prosecutors and defenders dealing with the unprecedented backlog of 58,000 cases. Without proper funding there can be no diversity at the criminal bar and our judiciary will end up deprived of the talent of hundreds of women and minorities from ordinary backgrounds who have dedicated their professional lives to the service of the public in our criminal courts.”

Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST

The Ministry of Justice has agreed to a 15% uplift in fees – the minimum recommended by an independent review – to new instructions beginning from the end of September but is refusing to apply it to existing cases. Given barristers are only paid at the conclusion of trials and

Read the rest